Why Should I Write A Happy Birthday Card?
Why Should we Write A Happy Birthday Card? Really, does it matter anymore?
Seriously, we can text it out, or wish it to them on social media, isn’t that the same?
And if we send a card, then do we have to send a gift card, cash or a gift?
Because that adds up and what if we don’t have the extra budget for that?
Besides that, cards are so expensive now-days in the specialty shops, how can we afford them?
I have answers for all of these issues and more, as I explain why we SHOULD write Happy Birthday Cards and send them out.
First Issue Solved – WHY WRITE A BIRTHDAY CARD?
If you read my post on writing a Thank You Card, you read about my sister-in-law Ruthann and what a rock star she is about those. Well, this is another one of her many strong talents.
She sends a card to every sister, brother, in-law, niece, nephew…I don’t believe she misses a relative and as a family we have talked many times about how much that means to us. My grand kids know that she and her husband Brad care about them. They know that they can go to them and talk. Now, as they get older, that means the world, because we may not be here, or possibly they will open up to one of them about a situation that might come up while they are talking together at a family event. It’s so important to build family relationships and bonds in anyway possible. And a simple card, like Ruthann does, truly builds bridges that spans generations, any age and is an honorable legacy to set.
There are other reasons to write a card, including:
- Strengthening and maintaining friendships
- Being able to put into words a sentiment such as a handshake, embrace or heartfelt smile as you wish them a wonderful year
- It is a tangible reminder that you care, that you took the time to sit down and write to them!
- It gives the opportunity to connect again as life gets busy and rushed, oftentimes we don’t talk to communicate with family or friends for long periods of time
- It brings a closeness and appreciation for each other
- There are so many reasons that the list could go on and on and on……
Second Issue Solved – HOW DO I KNOW WHEN BIRTHDAYS ARE AND HOW DO I KEEP TRACK OF THEM?
I have a free chart made specially for YOU that is editable/fill-in so you can write in the names and birthdays of your family and friends along with anniversaries if you’d like. Now you won’t have to miss one!
1- click HERE to download the free file that is EDITABLE /FILL-IN, there is also a version to download the file if you prefer to WRITE in it and not have it editable
*The link will take you to WooCommerce, which is a FREE option
After you fill it in, which will take maybe a minute or two to gather the information, you will have it for years to come.
Third Issue Solved – WHERE DO I GET A NICE CARD THAT’S AFFORDABLE
This is easy-peasy!
- I have free downloadable cards for birthdays and anniversariesfor you and the kids to use. See them below at the end of this post to print off.
- My friend Natalie makes the most gorgeous homemade cards. You can find Natalie HERE 
- If you prefer to order some on-line to have on hand, HERE  are some birthday cards you might like, THESE  would work well for the kids, and THIS  will be great for anniversaries
- Looking for fun colorful pens for you and the family to use, try THESE 
- And for pens that dry quickly and don’t smear, won’t skip and write smooth, this looks to be a great ONE 
Fourth Issue Solved – ARE THERE OPTIONS FOR EXPENSIVE GIFT CARDS OR CASH IF I WANT TO SEND SOMETHING WITH THE CARD?
I’ve thought long and hard about this one for you because I wanted to make sure the ‘gift’ was:
1- very affordable
2- useful or would be wanted
3- would go through the mail
Here are some ideas I came up with for men, women, teens and children; just send what THEY would like and use your imagination:)
- GUM  is a treat for most kids, so if you put 2-3 sticks in the card, wrap them in a plastic bag like THIS , same as if you use unwrapped candy as shown, it will withstand any humidity or heat. Just make sure it lies flat and you don’t over fill it!
- Fun Bandaids are a hit with young kids and up through even 8-10, depending on the child. Check these out:
- Disney Princess Band-aids HERE 
- Avengers Band-aids HERE 
- Tonka Truck Band-aids HERE 
- Glittery Band-aids HERE 
- You can find about any style of decorated Band-Aid, even ones with pickles! Just type in Fun Band-aid while you searching on the links and you’ll be surprised, I was!
- Nail decal link below
- Soft, flat individually wrapped candy is another idea; one option is Swedish Fish 
- These Punch Balloons will be fun to send to kids and teens! You can find them HERE 
- Hair ties made from Elastic Ribbon are fabulous for all ages as they are twisted to accommodate pretty much any amount of hair. You can make them yourself and send, or you can purchase them and send 2-3 in the card without any trouble. If you need a small amount you might want to look at THESE  if you have a lot you are gifting, you might want to look at THIS 
- Nail decals/stickers are always popular with all ages. These designs are for young and old, are individually packaged and thin enough to put in with your card and mail regularly. You will find them HERE 
- Here’s a link for JAR GRIPPER PADS  These are wonderful to help with getting a grip on those tight fitting lids and taking the lids off, but also for setting your cups, utensils – anything on so they don’t slid around or scratch the surface.
- These are the coolest things! They are seed paper. Which means it’s handmade eco-friendly paper with flower seeds pressed into the shape so when it is planted flowers grow! There are SO many shapes and types to choose from. HERE is a SMILEY FACE to get you started 
For older kids and TEEN BOYS especially, here are TWO great ideas:
- Flying Sticky Animal Frogs. Each frog is individually sealed in a bag. They are made to stretch from the front legs as well as the back as they are pulled, then let go to fly—and stick 🙂 You’ll see them HERE 
- Vinyl Glitter Stretchy Sticky Hands and Feet Stretchy are individually wrapped. What to do with these? Besides ‘slapping’ them on windows, try to pick up small objects! Find these are HERE 
For older teens and adults
- A Credit Card Pocket Magnifier Ruler Emergency Solar Fire Starter would be great for anyone. I would like the handy magnifier when I forget my reading glasses, and the teen guy and man in your life would really enjoy all the features of this little tool. Check it out HERE 
- Or this type of Plastic Reading 300% Magnifier Lens Credit Card Size Fire starter looks great too. See that one HERE 
- Another very useful idea is to give in your birthday card RFID Blocking Sleeves Credit Card Holders or Passport Protectors. These are lined with an electromagnetically opaque shield to block signals from high-tech pickpockets and unauthorized electronic scanning devices; you could give one or two to your birthday recipient. Those are HERE 
As you start brainstorming, you will come up with some great ideas yourself, and please share them with us!
Fifth Issue Solved – WHAT DO I WRITE IN A BIRTHDAY CARD
1- Make it personal, think of whom you are writing to.
2- Are you going to be cute, funny or sincere in your message?
3- End with a quote if you’d like such as these (from https://www.americangreetings.com)
- Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. –Sir James Barrie
- And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. –Abraham Lincoln
- A friend is, as it were, a second self. –Cicero
- You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. –C.S. Lewis
- We turn not older with years, but newer every day. –Emily Dickinson
- Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! –Henry David Thoreau
- A true friend is someone who knows all about you and likes you just the same. –Elbert Hubbard
- Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together. –Woodrow Wilson
4- End with your choice of closing, here are some ideas (from https://ideas.hallmark.com)
- With love,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Much love to you,
- All my love,
- Best wishes!
- Best wishes on your birthday and always,
- All life’s best to you,
- Happy Birthday!
- Wishing you happiness,
- Warmest wishes,
- God bless,
- Hugs and kisses,
5- SEND THE CARD!!!
I hope you will start, or keep on sending those BIRTHDAY and ANNIVERSARY cards because it is one of the most simple, yet gracious and connecting acts we can do.
FREE DOWNLOAD CARDS FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY – ENJOY!
Click HERE for all of these: Children’s Color-In Birthday Card, 2 Birthday Cards, 2 Anniversary Cards and a Birthday Card for a child
Here are a few sites with more ideas of what to write in your card:
Copyright Carrie Groneman, A Mother’s Shadow, 2018
Recognize a blessing and be a blessing today