Have you ever noticed the vehicles marked ‘Meals on Wheels’ and wondered what they do?
I have had two elderly friends that have benefited from this service in the past years and it was a wonderful blessing in their life and that of their family.
So what is Meals on Wheels anyway?
Meals on Wheels is a national (USA) organization that has the focus of:
- Serving the rapidly growing elderly population
- Relieving the threat of isolation, hunger and limited mobility to those in need.
It works like this: Cities or counties are assigned a local office, which arranges for meals to be delivered to the home bound, elderly, or anyone who may need assistance in this manner.
In most areas, a hot meal is delivered for lunch, with a sack-lunch type of meal being left for dinner.
As I said, my friends and their family’s were thrilled with this service due to the situation they were in.
After more research, I found that many of the recipients of these meals live alone, and far too often, the only contact with people they have, are the drivers or deliverers of these meals during the week! That’s so sad!
What can be done to help these people who are alone and with no one?
To address the isolation and loneliness felt by the many who receive these meals, greeting cards are delivered with the meals in my area.
Why a card?
Because a card would mean some form of contact from another person who took the time to care. It would show that another human being actually put pen to paper and made time in their day for them!
WE could bring a smile, some comfort and encourage another person with just a little bit of effort.
If you’d like to make a difference for good and help out with Cards for Meals on Wheels, here’s how to start.
First off, it’s really EASY to do this.
HOW do you get involved?
I wanted to help us all have some fun with these Cards for Meals on Wheels, as well as make them special.
1- I had some great cards created just for you, that I am offering for free.
2- You can easily download them, simply print them off and color-in the cards for this Meals on Wheels project.
3- Your kids can be involved in a way they would look forward to serving a total stranger. You could get some friends together and make or color in the cards. You can relax and color in a card or two while watching tv; the possibilities are endless.
4- The point is, print off as many of the Cards for Meals on Wheels I have provided for you at your local copy store as you’d like to use, or do it on your home printer, and have some FUN!
These are the Cards for Meals on Wheels I had made just for you, so you can easily participate in this very worthwhile project.
HELLO Birdie card is HERE
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY Floral card is HERE
KEEP SMILING Hot Air Balloon card is HERE
THINKING OF YOU Mandela style card is HERE
Now, if you’d rather purchase cards to write in, I really LIKE THESE and they’d be perfect for this purpose.
However, if you want to make your own cards, this is the information you will need:
- Cards must be generic for a man or woman.
- No need for envelope
- Cards should be 6″x8″ or smaller
- Cards can be simple or ornate
- Cards are not to be holiday or special occasion oriented, making them usable all year long
- Purchased ‘thinking of you’ cards would be perfect
- Do NOT personalize it in any form, such as happy birthday or themed in any way – such as holiday, etc.
What do I write inside the Cards for Meals on Wheels?
Here are some ideas of what can be written inside the card after it is colored in, or in a purchased one:
- Thinking of You
- Have a nice day
- Keep that Awesome Smile Showing
- Stopping by with a friendly hello from me to you
- Bringing a Smile by to share with you today
- Hope it’s wonderful in your corner of the world
Do not sign it please.
What do I do with the Cards for Meals on Wheels after I make them?
- Send cards to me if you do not have a Meals on Wheels office close by, or it is not convenient, or they are not asking for cards.
- Email me for my address at: firstname.lastname@example.org and please put “SERVICE” in the subject line, and I will be HAPPY to deliver them for you
- Send cards directly to the Davis County Meals on Wheels office – information below
- Send them to your own Meals on Wheels agency -you will want to contact them first to make sure they are also in need of these cards.
I hope you, your family, friends, neighbors, church group, youth group, or whomever will do these.
It’s a great way to learn how to think of others. Practice being kind to those you do not know. and become a better person as nothing is expected in return, except the gratification of bringing happiness to another.
North Davis Senior Activity Center
Davis County Health Department
Copyright Carrie Groneman, A Mother’s Shadow 2019
Recognize a blessing and be a blessing today