Well, you may have seen the little vans that are marked ‘Meals on Wheels’ and wondered what they do, or possibly maybe benefited from their service yourself. Meals on Wheels is a national (USA) organization.
It works like this: cities or counties are assigned a local office, which arrange for meals to be delivered to the home bound, elderly, or anyone who may need assistance in this manner. A hot meal is delivered for lunch, with a sack-lunch type of meal being left for dinner. Many of the recipients of these meals live alone, and far too often the only contact with people are the drivers-deliverers of these meals during the week.
There is a need for greeting cards to be delivered with these meals. A card would mean contact from another person who took the time to care. It would mean a smile and a warm thought. But most importantly it would mean an additional portion of love that, as humans, we can never get enough of.
If you are interested (and I truly hope you are) in getting together with friends, a church group, youth, family, or even while watching a movie or tv, to make some homemade cards, OR purchased ones LIKE THESE would be perfect.
What should the cards look like:
- Cards must be generic for a man or woman.
- No need for envelope
- Cards should be 6″x8″ or smaller
- Cards can be simple or ornate
- Cards are not to be holiday or special occasion oriented, making them usable all year long
- Purchased ‘thinking of you’ cards would be perfect
- Print and glue in or write a message on the inside such as: “Thinking of You”, “Have a nice day”, “Keep that Awesome Smile Showing”, etc.
- Do NOT personalize it in any form, such as happy birthday or themed in any way – such as holiday, etc.
What do I do with the cards:
- Send cards to ME. Email me for address at: email@example.com and please put “SERVICE” in the subject line, and I will be HAPPY to deliver them for you
- Send cards directly to the Davis County Meals on Wheels office – information below
- Send them to your own Meals on Wheels agency -you will want to contact them first to make sure they are interested
North Davis Senior Activity Center
Davis County Health Department
Copyright Carrie Groneman, A Mother’s Shadow 2018
Recognize a blessing and be a blessing today