A TOTE for ALL SUN and FUN!!!
My amazingly talented friend Dorthy is back with the an addition to the LOST ART OF SEWING series and this is sssooo cool! It’s a tote made from Capri Sun drink pouches! She has step-by-step instructions and pictures for a tutorial to help you make one too! Fur for all ages, a great size and the colors are bright to make andy season SUNNY!
Capri Sun Tote
24 Capri Sun pouches
2/3 yard lining
¾ yard jumbo rickrack (opt)
Thread to coordinate
1. Cut the back off pouches and rinse well. Dry completely.
2. Using a wide zigzag stitch, sew pouches together overlapping about 1/4 “. Make sure to back stitch to lock stitches.
First row: 3 vertical pouches.
Second row: two horizontal pouches(check the measurement with the first row to determine how much to overlap. All ——–pouches are not the same.).Third row: three vertical pouches. Sew rows together to make a rectangle.
3. Repeat step two for the back of the tote.
4. Make two side panels by: sewing one vertical pouch, one pouch cut to the same size as the horizontal row and then another vertical pouch (sew short ends to make a vertical row). Sew one bottom panel with two pouches sewn together at short sides.5. With wrong sides together, sew one side panel to one end of the bottom panel and sew the other side panel at the opposite side of the bottom panel creating a “U” shape.
With wrong sides together, sew the sides/bottom panel to front of tote using a zigzag stitch on the edges.
Once again, make sure to lock in the stitches. Sew the back of the tote the same way.6. Lining
Cut pieces the following lengths:
Front & Back: Cut 2 – 11 ½ X 14 Bottom: Cut 1 – 11 ½ X 4
Sides: Cut 2 – 4 X 14 Handles: Cut 2 – 4 X 21
Inside pocket: Cut 1 – 5 X 6 Top Band: Cut 2 – 14 X 3
7. Press handles in half lengthwise with right side out.
Open up and press raw edges in to meet the center fold. Press in half again so that handles are four thicknesses of fabric.
Sew close to both edges. You can zigzag if you want.
8. Fold ½”down on the wrong side of the short edge of pocket and press.
Fold down ½” again and stitch close to the fold. Press under to the wrong side the other three sides of the pocket. 9. Pin pocket to the right side of the front of the tote lining 4” from the top and centered. Sew the sides and bottom of the pocket close to the edge making sure to back stitch at the tops of the pocket.
With right sides together, sew side pieces to either side of the bottom using a ¼” seam making one long strip of fabric.
With right sides together, sew side/bottom strip to front of tote lining using ¼” seam and matching seams to corners. Zigzag or serge seams.
10. With right sides together, sew side pieces to either side of the bottom using a ¼” seam making one long strip of fabric.
With right sides together, sew side/bottom strip to front of tote lining using ¼” seam and matching seams to corners. Zigzag or serger seams.
11. With right sides together, sew the side/bottom panel to the back in the same manner.
12. With wrong sides together, place lining into the outer tote. Pin the lining to the top of the tote matching seams.
If you have excess lining, make small tucks in the corners.13. With wrong sides together, place lining into the outer tote. Pin the lining to the top of the tote matching seams.
If you have excess lining, make small tucks in the corners.14. Sew across the top ¼”.15. Pin handles on inside of tote leaving 4” between handles and check to make sure the handles are not twisted.
Sew each handle four times.16. With right sides together, sew one side of top band together. Loosely pin to inside of top.
If the top band to too long, trim to fit leaving ¼” on each end for a seam. Un-pin and seam together.
Re-pin to the inside top of the bag and sew ¼”. 17. Fold band to the right side and pin. Sew ¼” from the top. Pin the band at the bottom and sew close to the raw edge.
Sew jumbo rickrack to cover the raw edge. If you are not using trim, fold under bottom of band ¼” and stitch close to the edge.18. And there you have it!Copyright Carrie Groneman, A Mother’s Shadow, 2015
Recognize a blessing and be a blessing today
For More on This Topic:
20 Minute Table Runner
DIY Baby Burp Pads
Yo Yo Bag or Tote