I am excited to share the BEST Ever St. Patrick’s Day FUN Foods with you!
I don’t think there is a lick of Irish in our family line, but this is one of our family’s favorite holidays.
If you are looking for breakfast, lunch and dinner food ideas for kids along with party ideas, I have it here for you.
Celebrating with green food, desserts, Leprechaun tricks and healthy food as well as treats, that are easy, simple and quick; will fill St. Paddy’s with family fun memories.
BEST Ever St. Patrick’s Day FUN Foods
St. Patrick’s Day is a day I tried to make special – just because!
When the kids were young they made Leprechaun traps that were silly, but serious business to them.
The ‘Leprechaun’ was always prepared with a treat and a note of Sorry, they didn’t catch him this year and better luck next time.
It was MUST that there is a Treasure Hunt such as this:
- It was low key with Leprechaun footprints to lead to the prize when the kids were young.
- As they got older I had treasure hunt clues leading to places around the house.
- When a bit older (yes as teens and even young adults they wanted it), I contacted neighbors for their permission to leave clues in their mailbox, on their porch, or a chair in their yard; with a clue for the hunt.
Green candy, gold chocolate coins were a constant prize of the treasure.
Food for the day was a celebration and was based on how busy I was, and their time due to sports and extracurricular activities
- Breakfast menu options:
Green pancakes – HERE is my Grandma’s recipe
OR use a packaged product to make it easier.
Either way, simply add in green food coloring.
And cook as directed.
Perfectly green Pancakes!
Green Scrambled Eggs – Green Eggs & Ham
Add in green food coloring,
Pieces of ham and serve alone, or inside a spinach tortilla or alongside green toast.And there you have Amazing Green Eggs & Ham!
Green Banana smoothie
In a blender, mix:
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1-2 frozen banana(s),
1/4 cup milk and green food coloring
Combine all the ingredients in a blender until smooth; serve immediately.
YUMMY & Healthy Green Smoothie!
Other fun food ideas:
- Breakfast: Lucky Charm Cereal and green toast
- Lunch: (kids took homemade that day for sure):
- Bright Green Bread Sandwich & Guacamole Chips – ask your local bakery if they will make this bread for you.
- Always a highlight and hit with the other kids at lunch
- Green punch or green colored beverage container
- Pistachio pudding
- Green jello
- Clover cookies
- Green tinted cupcakes, etc.
A family favorite every year are these easy dishes to make. I have a step-by-step tutorials so you can make any, or all of them too.
Corned Beef & Cabbage: Click HERE for my recipe for Corned Beef & Vegetables
Irish Soda Bread: Click HERE for my recipe for Irish Soda Bread
Of course GREEN desserts and treats are in order, these are what I have lined up for you:
Key Lime Bars: Click HERE for Key Lime Bars
Key Lime Poke Cake: Click HERE for Key Lime Poke Cake
Pistachio & Cranberry Cookie: Pistachio and Cranberry Cookies HERE
Green Granny Corn: Click HERE for Green Granny PopCorn (aka Mother Goose Popcorn)
ENJOY the FUN!!!
Copyright Carrie Groneman, A Mother’s Shadow 2014
Recognize a blessing and be a blessing today.