I don’t think there is a lick of Irish in our family line, but this is one of our family’s favorite holidays. Looking for food and fun ideas? I’ve got it here for you and it’s easy, simple and quick! This will soon become one of your family fun memories too. I also have fabulous desserts and treats to share with friends and family that will make them smile like they found a Pot Of Gold:)
St. Patrick’s Day is a day I tried to make special – just because!
When the kids were young they made Leprechaun traps that were silly, but serious business to them. The ‘Leprechaun’ was always prepared with a treat and a note of Sorry, they didn’t catch him this year and better luck next time. It was MUST that there is a Treasure Hunt.
- It was low key with Leprechaun footprints to lead to the prize when the kids were young.
- As they got older I had treasure hunt clues leading to places around the house.
- When a bit older (yes as teens and even young adults they wanted it), I contacted neighbors for their permission to leave clues in their mailbox, on their porch, or a chair in their yard; with a clue for the hunt.
Green candy, gold chocolate coins were a constant prize of the treasure. Food for the day was a celebration and was based on how busy I was, and their time due to sports and extracurricular activities
- Breakfast menu options:
Green pancakes – Use a packaged product to make it easier. Simply add in green food coloring.
Perfectly green Pancakes!
Scrambled eggs – Add in green food coloring,
Pieces of ham and serve alone, with a spinach tortilla or green toast. Amazing Green Eggs & Ham!
Green Banana smoothie
In a blender, mix:
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1-2 frozen banana(s),
1/4 cup milk and green food coloring
Healthy Green Smoothie!
Other fun food ideas:
- Breakfast: Lucky Charm Cereal and green toast
- Lunch: (kids took homemade that day for sure):
- Bright Green Bread Sandwich & Guacamole Chips – ask your local bakery if they will make this bread for you.
- Always a highlight and hit with the other kids at lunch
- Green punch or green colored beverage container
- Pistachio pudding
- Green jello
- Clover cookies
- Green tinted cupcakes, etc.
Page on for great dinner ideas! (my kids friends and family usually drop in for this):
Corned Beef & Cabbage: Click HERE for my recipe for Corned Beef & Vegetables
Irish Soda Bread: Click HERE for my recipe for Irish Soda Bread
Here are some great desserts & treats:
Key Lime Bars: Click HERE for Key Lime Bars
Key Lime Poke Cake: Click HERE for Key Lime Poke Cake
Pistachio & Cranberry Cookie: Pistachio and Cranberry Cookies HERE
Green Granny Corn: Click HERE for Green Granny PopCorn (aka Mother Goose Popcorn)
Copyright Carrie Groneman, A Mother’s Shadow 2014
Recognize a blessing and be a blessing today.