CUP CAKE WARS!
I have a terrific idea for a GREAT activity for
A Family Reunion that all ages could be involved in
A Girl’s Night Out or Date Night — oh, the competition could be fierce, lol
Cub Scout Pack Meeting
Girls Daddy Daughter or Mommy Daughter Activity
Or for anytime you want to have fun with a group of people, it is:
- Have people to run the store during the game
- Have a timer
- Prizes for winners of categories for creation of theme
Choose a THEME
You will need some sort of exchange or currency to work with:
- play money such as at the dollar store
- printed pretend money
- anything that works for your purpose
- game chips
Items to decorate the cup cakes with that can be purchased at the ‘store’ such as*: These will need to be separated/portioned into small cups or bowls
- chocolate chips
- mini marshmellows
- regular marshmellows
- gummy bears
- gummy worms
- tootsie rolls
- mini oreo’s
- teddy grahams
- graham crackers
- extra cupcakes
- ice cream cones
- mini m&m’s
- fruit snacks (to cut out shapes)
- dragees (the little silver or other colored edible balls)
- icing candy decoration
- edible glitter
- styrofoam blocks or shapes
- small cardboard shapes, flags, etc
- let your imagination go crazy!
Each team or table will need:
- a disposable table cloth
- a foam board to form their creation on – the BEST way to do this is a foam board from the Dollar Store (in the same place as the poster board, that you Sharon for that idea!)
- a pencil and paper to scratch out the design
- these could be easily made up ahead and frozen, which actually makes them easier to decorate if frozen when beginning the game
the frosting you see in the picture I made ahead, chilled and then stirred. It looks like mashed potatoes, but it worked just fine.
Assign an amount to each item for store for purchase from your supplies*
Tip – have for FREE to make the game competitive, extremely creative and exciting: (NO cost but can regulate how many per team if desired)
- use of food coloring
- extra bowls for mixing frosting
- plastic spoons for mixing
- plastic knifes for spreading
- plastic fork to use for making a pattern or texture
- popsicle sticks
To play the game!
Divide up teams which can be done in several ways such as:
- giving participants a piece of colored paper when they arrive
- assigning numbers to divide into teams
- counting off to make teams
- if it is group dates, then divide by twos, fours or six participants per team
Announce the theme
Each team has 3 minutes to come to the ‘store’ to see the items available for purchase.
Teams go back to their table and have 5 minutes to plan and draw out their design of their creation.
Each team is allowed to send 2 people to the store to purchase supplies
Allow 15 minutes or whatever is determined is best. Fifteen is great for kids, thirty would be good for youth or family reunion and maybe forty-five for a ladies night or date night.During the game have one or two ‘FREE’ times the store is opened for participants to come get a few new items you put up that are left over or that you put out that were not there before just to make it fun and interesting.
When the game is over, let everyone shine and show off their creation!
FUN TIME, FUN MEMORY, FUN TREATS!
Thank you Sharon so much for helping me work out the details and pulling it all together for the Cub Scout Pack Meeting!
Copyright Carrie Groneman, A Mother’s Shadow, 2015
Recognize a blessing and be a blessing today